Kevin Appleby chats with GrowCFO mentor Susana Serrano-Davey and finds out how to win your next finance job. Susana provides 5 great strategies to help you win at your next finance job interview.
Finance job interviews can be difficult for a number of reasons. Here are some factors that can make a finance job interview challenging:
- Technical Knowledge: Finance is a complex and technical field, and many finance job interviews will require candidates to demonstrate their knowledge of financial concepts, tools, and techniques. This can be challenging for candidates who don’t have a strong background in finance or who haven’t kept up with the latest industry developments.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Many finance jobs require candidates to be able to solve complex problems under pressure. During an interview, candidates may be asked to work through hypothetical scenarios or case studies that test their ability to analyze data and develop solutions.
- Communication Skills: Finance professionals often need to communicate complex financial information to others, including colleagues, clients, and stakeholders. Interviews may include questions about how candidates would communicate financial information to non-financial stakeholders and how they would handle difficult conversations.
- Behavioral Questions: Increasingly, finance job interviews include behavioral questions that ask candidates to describe how they have handled specific situations in the past. These questions can be difficult because they require candidates to reflect on their experiences and provide examples of how they have demonstrated key skills and competencies.
Susana has 5 great strategies to take with you to your next finance job interview. Listen to the full episode to find out what they are.
- Susana’s Book “I Wish I had Known” is available at Amazon UK and Amazon US
- Find your next role on the GrowCFO job board
- Mentoring at GrowCFO with Susana Serrano-Davey
- Susana Serrano-Davey on LinkedIn
- Kevin Appleby on LinkedIn
Introduction to today’s show. (0:11)
What happens if you don’t show the right side of yourself during the interview? (3:21)
How to prepare for an interview with a CFO. (5:44)
Why every interview has to be dealt with differently. (10:13)
How do you know if you’re the right person for the job? (12:15)
How to ask the right questions at the interview. (16:39)
What does the interviewer think was the reason why the person failed? (20:19)
Kevin’s examples of where he has led teams outside of work. (23:41)
The most successful people will own the failure, not blame. (27:53)