Live Zoom Discussion – Session Summary (18/8/20)
In this session, we welcomed back special guest, Maria G. Vigliotti, from Sandblocks Consulting (a boutique consultancy specialising in Blockchain and Cyber Security), who gave our attendees an introduction into CryptoCurrency.
Maria is the first author of “The Executive Guide to Blockchain“, a book that demystifies blockchain by offering a jargon-free explanation on all aspects of the technology.
Maria has had a decorated career that spans more than 20 years including; the development of the cybersecurity strategy for the entire British railway industry and worked on prevention of cryptographic attacks on the European Railway Traffic Management Systems (ERTMS). She has also advised most of the major players in the UK nuclear industry on smart device security.
She is a member of the Blockchain Committee of the International Standards Organisation and the Chief Editor for the Journal Frontiers in Blockchain and holds a PhD in Computing from Imperial College London.
During this session we asked Maria;
- In laymen’s terms, what is CryptoCurrency and how does it link to Blockchain?
- How does CryptoCurrency work?
- Why would a business (or person) use CryptoCurrency? (What is the value?)
- What businesses /industries are using CryptoCurrency?
It was a fascinating insight into this relatively new technology and it was clear we only scratched the surface during the hour.
The audience then had an opportunity to ask some of their own questions, including;
- How would a business like Subway or Virgin convert the cryptocurrency they receive to cash?
- Can you please discuss the key trends you are seeing in DeFi, and in particular, the most common & interesting commercial use cases for Big 4 / consultancies + global banks?
Maria has also supplied some slides that go into explaining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency a little further. You can view them here:
Find out more:
Maria is also happy to connect with anyone who is keen to do so or has any questions they wish to ask directly. She can be found by [Clicking Here]
If anyone is interested, you might find value in reading her book ‘The Executive Guide to Blockchain‘ which can be found on Amazon [Click Here]